Information about ESC vacancy 2023/2024 in
Lipka – School Facility for Environmental Education
Website in English: http://www.lipka.cz/lipka-en
Luzanky – Centre of Leisure Time (SVC Luzanky)
Website in English: https://solidaritycorps.luzanky.cz/
Website of Luzanky: https://www.luzanky.cz/
Duration of activity: 12 months
Beginning of activity: 15/9/2023
End of activity: 13/09/2024
Contact person (ESC coordinator): Hana Klenovská
Phone Nr: +420 724 200 131
Please send us your CV, motivation letter and completed questions (see below), describe why you have chosen this placement particularly and what your expectations are. In the subject of the e-mail please write the name of the ESC placement you are applying for (Lipka).
Please send us the documents as soon as possible at email@example.com
The call is open until suitable candidate is found.
If you are chosen to the second round of selection, be ready for a videocall (interview). Kindly note only the volunteers selected for the second round will be informed about the results. Thank you for understanding!
Description of the workplace
Training facility Lipka-Rozmarýnek, Rozmarýnová 6, Brno-Jundrov
Rozmarýnek is the second oldest training facility of Lipka. It designs and implements natural science and environmental education programmes for primary and secondary schools, afternoon courses, clubs and camps, especially for kids. A lot of activities are connected with animals and are mostly run outside in the garden and the closest surroundings.Rozmarýnek has a unique natural garden with permaculture elements. It bears Model natural garden certificate confirming that we care for our garden without using e.g. peat dust, fast dissolving artificial fertilizers and pesticides. The visitors can also see special garden structures and unusual elements managing water or promoting distribution of animals on cultivated land etc. The unique garden enables Rozmarýnek to run courses on permaculture for professional public, pedagogues and enthusiasts from afar. We operate an Ecohouse as an example of environmental friendly way of living.
The volunteer will have responsibilities mostly in these areas
- Maintenance of the natural garden, of the Ecohouse and care for animals. Garden jobs are seasonal (picking fruits, processing them, planting herbs, watering, composting, cutting grass, other manual tasks…). Animals require feeding, cleaning, repairing either terrariums or coops (we have rabbits, gooses, chicken, lizards, snake, stick insects, turtles). Within the care of the Ecohouse volunteer is among other things for example in charge of seasonal decoration or maintenance of the fireplace during Christmas programs for kids.
- Participating in afterschool hobby clubs (approx. once a week). According to his/her skills volunteer will take part in one of our hobby clubs for primary school kids (handicraft, cooking, pet breeding, scientific clubs). He/she can also lead his/her own activity within the club. Kids do not speak English but English-Czech speaking pedagogue will help. Some activities of our hobby clubs can be carried out on weekends (half-day activities).
- Participating in environmental programs for teenagers. Environmental education is the aim of our facility, so the volunteer will participate in preparing or leading activities for teenagers during one-week residential stays, weekend events and summer camps. (approximately 5 weeks during the year). Teenagers speak English.
- Public events held by the facility. (app. 5 times a year). The volunteer will also participate in preparing public events (taking photoshoot, helping with manual preparations).
- Manual preparation of aids and props for environmental programs (e.g. printing, cutting, laminating materials, handicraft). Few hours a week.
- According to his/her skills volunteer can be involved in cooking (especially vegetarian, from organic ingredients) for our culinary workshops, residential programs or camps (approximately twice a month or 4 weeks during the year).
- According to his/her language skills volunteer will lead English lessons, workshops or conversations. Few hours a week.
- Cooperating in creating posts and taking pictures for Lipka Facebook and Instagram, working with Canva editor.
By mutual agreement the volunteer will have the possibility to visit and cooperate with other facilities of Lipka – Lipová, Kamenná, Jezírko, Rychta – public events, residential programs for teenagers, handicraft events, English courses for employees etc.
We are looking for someone who likes working with small children as well as teenagers, who is communicative and is not discouraged by language barriers. Someone who likes animals, can handle manual work outside in the garden but also inside the house or in the office.
Open-minded creative soul wanted! 🙂
The time schedule of the volunteer:
35 hours weekly
– 10 hours weekly – manual work in the garden/Ecohouse, looking after animals, preparing schooling aids and props for environmental programmes (varies through the seasons)
– 7 hours weekly – preparing and conducting programs for children (irregularly, one week stays or weekends, afternoon hobby clubs)
– 3 hours weekly – leading English lessons, workshops or conversations (with employees of Lipka or teenagers)
– 5 hours weekly – other activities (irregularly, preparation and organisation of public events, photographing, preparing materials, cooking etc.)
– 5 hours of preparation and meeting with coordinator and other volunteers
– 5 hours for volunteer´s common/personal projects
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER:
- Why are you interested in environmental education or natural sciences?
- Please describe your experiences, if you have any, with pedagogical work (age of the children, form of activities, length of your experience).
- Please describe your English language abilities (e.g experiences with teaching or holding English conversation with adults or teenagers).
- Are you interested or experienced in working in the garden (take care of animals, do seasonal work in orchard – picking apples, gardening)?
- What would you like to gain from your ESC volunteering?
- In what area are you good at and you can share your knowledge and experience with others?
General description of volunteering project coordinated by Luzanky:
There are 8 ESC volunteers working at different places on individual projects, meeting every week on common meetings with the coordinator and from time to time with all the colleagues to evaluate and plan the project. Luzanky hosts and coordinates ESC volunteers also in other organizations (focused on environmental education, preschool education etc.), so all hosted and coordinated volunteers will meet during the project and can visit workplaces and events of each other.
The volunteers are working 5 hours a week together with the coordinator on tasks connected with their integration into Luzanky and presentation of their presence in our organization. Those tasks will be mainly related to the promotion of Solidarity corps program, and volunteers stay in Brno. Common trainings organized by Luzanky outside Brno are possible.
Volunteers can visit some of the courses and events organized by Luzanky for free (circus training for adults, ceramics, yoga etc.).
The organization will host only volunteers older than 18 years old.
Days off and holidays: volunteers have 2 days a week free + 2 days per month of vacation. While working occasionally on weekends they have extra days off during the week.
Volunteers get their pocket money and food allowance monthly (at the beginning of each month), and they are provided with a card for Brno public transport.
Volunteers live in rented flats, two volunteers per one room. Distance to your working place from the flat can be around 30 minutes by public transport, even a bit more. Getting affordable accommodation in Brno is very difficult in recent years, so please be ready for described conditions of accommodation if you apply for our project.